Wednesday 10 March 2010

Why do my days never go to plan?

It all started off so well. I had a plan and I was going to stick to it. In fact, so confident was I of my plan, and the need to get a few things on my 'to do' list ticked off, that I even told people I'd be at my desk all day. After all this time you'd think that I would have learnt that when it comes running this show things never go to plan.


Today's little interruption was a rescue call out to No. 2 gully on the west face of Aonach Dubh. Either oxygen bottles are getting heavier and I'm getting slower, or helicopters are getting quicker. Regardless, my attempts to beat it to the scene fell a few hundred feet short. However, it was a nice day to watch some fairly impressive flying as the chopper flew deep into the depths of No. 2 to winch the casualty, and also to admire the view and take a couple of photos.


Here's one from the approaches to the Dinner Time Buttress looking across the foot of the west face into Coire Beith. Its hard to capture on an iPhone camera, but the avalanche debris at the foot of the face is just amazing. Huge long run outs beneath no. 4 and no. 5 gullies, and it just keeps on going all the way down over the waterfall and lower.

And then the sun came out so I thought I'd try something a little arty. Which was nice.

The view down to a frozen Loch Achtriochtan and the Aonach Eagach was nice too. Although the snow at this altitude was softening slightly, the ground under foot(boot) was rock hard. That'll be the permafrost then!

Finally, a view back down the glen. Can you see my office window?

And to all those I told I would get that job done today, definitely, I promise I'll get it done tomorrow. Probably.

P.S. See the STV News report (including my 15 nano seconds of fame as I pack a rucksack!)

No comments: